Niche blogging is a popular way to make money online and if you choose a niche about something that you enjoy or are passionate about then it is fun to work on and easy to stay motivated with it. In this article I am going to get back to the basics of how to set up a blog for niche blogging.
Choosing a Niche
You can read 10 different blogging ebooks and you will find 10 different criteria on how to choose a niche. Some people choose a topic that they are passionate about while others choose a niche simply for how profitable it will likely be.
I believe that your niche should also depend on what type of blog you would like to create, so first ask yourself these questions:
Would you prefer to build a heap of small niche blogs that will each earn a little money?
Would you prefer to build one big niche blog that will make a lot of money?
Both ways can be profitable so it is really a personal choice of whether you want to work long term on one blog or just keep on building lots of smaller blogs.
Choosing a Niche for Smaller Blogs
If you prefer the option of building lots of small niche blogs then I recommend that you choose your niche based on popular products that have proven to sell well and do some very good keyword research. Keyword research is especially important for small blogs as you want keywords without too much competition as you don’t want to spend too much time on your blog and getting it to rank well. So you will need a great keyword phrase to build the blog around and great search engine optimisation.
It doesn’t matter if the niches you choose are topics that you are passionate about as you won’t be spending a lot of time on each blog so it is best to choose based on profitability.
Choosing a Niche for One Big Blog
If you prefer to have just one, or just a few, bigger blogs and spend more time working on and building up into a large niche site then it can be beneficial to choose your niche based on something that you are passionate about. To build a large blog you need to add a lot of content to it as well as do a lot of promotion work on your blog so you will need to stay motivated with the blog long term. This can be difficult to do if it is a topic that you aren’t really interested in. It is much easier to write about something that interests you and something that you enjoy.
Good keyword research is still important for your blog to have a better chance of ranking higher in the search engines.
There are a number of different ways in which you can do keyword research but generally you want to choose a keyword phrase that has a lot of searches each month but not too much competition.
When you are researching your competition, the most important sites to look at are those in the top ten as these are the ones that you really want to beat. If the top ten sites for your keyword phrase are all authority sites with high numbers of backlinks and aged domains then you don’t have a very good chance of beating them. If however the top ten sites look like they would be easy to beat then you will have a very good keyword phrase that can do really well.
You want to choose a keyword phrase that has at least 2,000 exact searches a month to make it worthwhile. If there is too little search numbers then you are not likely to get much traffic as the demand for that keyword phrase isn’t high.
There are thousands and thousands of people worldwide that are blogging. It has become extremely popular with both young and old as a way to record your thoughts, experiences and feelings.
People blog about all sorts of topics like weight loss, fitness, family life, pets, sports or business. Whatever topic you are interested in you are quite likely to find many blogs about it on the internet. Some bloggers have become very successful with their blogs and have hundreds of people subscribe to their blog to read new information as it is added.
If you are interested in blogging then here are five tips on how you can become a successful blogger.
1. Choose a niche that you are passionate about. If you choose a niche for your blog that you are not passionate about then you will lose interest in it very quickly. When you choose a niche that you are passionate about and enjoy writing about then you will continue to be motivated about your blog and continue adding interesting and valuable content for your readers to read.
2. Give your readers valuable information. Visitors to your blog will want to come back and read more if the information you are giving them is valuable and interesting. Visitors are often looking for helpful information or information that can change their lives and if you can offer them that then they are more likely to keep returning to read your blog.
3. Update your blog regularly as this keeps your readers coming back. If you are consistent with how often you update your blog then your visitors will know when to come back and look for new information. Adding regular content will help your blog to grow and gain more visitors as well as giving your visitors more information to read.
4. Keep your blog sensible and use manners. Many people are quickly turned away, never to return, if they find that you are constantly using bad language or bad mouthing people. Have a good, sensible blog and remember your manners will give you a good number of followers who will enjoy reading what you have to say.
5. Build a relationship with your readers. When visitors leave comments on your blog posts try to reply to each one of them. You will gain more loyal visitors if you can connect to them on a personal level and make them feel a connection with you.
These are just five simple steps that can help you have a very successful blog. If you can persist with your blog and update it regularly with good content and build that connection with your readers then you will achieve your goal of being a successful blogger.
The Domain Name
Once you have chosen your niche and found your main keyword phrase you need to find out if a domain name is available for that keyword phrase. You can go to The Domain-Castle.com to do this. It does help with search engine optimization if you can get a domain name that includes your keyword phrase. If the exact keyword phrase is not available you can add a word at the beginning or the end of the phrase just as long as it still sounds good.
Hosting For Your blog
You will need to sign up for a hosting account to host your blog. There are some free options around but it is recommend to have paid hosting if you are really serious about making money with your blog. With paid hosting you have complete control over your blog and domain and you don’t have to worry about having your blog closed without warning.
Choosing Your Blogging Platform
Wordpress is one of the most popular blogging platforms to use to build your blog. It is easy to install and easy to use. Most good hosting companies will have an option to install WordPress which is very easy to follow.
Adding Posts to Your Blog
Now that your blog is up and running it is time to start writing some articles based on your keyword phrase and post them to your blog. You will want to use some other related keywords and write articles around these keywords also. It is recommended to have around six or seven other related keyword phrases to include in your blog.
Updating your blog on a daily basis is a great way to keep fresh content on your blog and build up the size of your blog. Not everyone has time to post a new article every day so just post as often as you can.
Monetizing Your Blog
There are a number of affiliate programs such as Clickbank, Commission Junction and Amazon where you should be able to find products related to your niche to promote. You can also add some Google Adsense ads onto your blog to earn money per click.
Promoting Your Blog
Once your blog is up and running and has a few posts on it you need to start getting some visitors to your blog. One good way to start promoting your blog is to submit your blog posts to social bookmarking sites. You want to be careful not to spam these sites by submitting posts all day long or you will have your account banned.
Article marketing is another great way to promote your blog and will bring traffic directly from the article as well as help to build the number of backlinks for your site.
Keep on adding content to your blog regularly and building backlinks and promoting your blog and you will soon start to see some results and some income from your niche blog.
Are you considering starting a blog? Would you like to blog about a hobby or would you like to create a blog that will make you money? Or perhaps you would like to do both! So what can you blog about?
There are so many different topics that people blog about and some people just blog for fun while others actually make a full time income from blogging. Here are just some ideas of the sort of things that you can blog about.
Do you have a hobby that you love to spend time doing and spend time talking about? Blogging about your favourite hobby is a great way to build up your blog as you talk about something that you are passionate about. You can build a blog about scrapbooking, stamp collecting, model cars or any other hobby that you might have. Through your blog you can connect with other people that enjoy the same hobby and will love to read your experiences and thoughts.
Do you love animals? Do you have pets? Perhaps you have a particular dog breed and you take your dogs to show competitions. Having a blog about your dog, cat or other pet is a great way to keep a diary of the events and achievements that your pet has, or just the daily enjoyment that you get from your pet.
If you are going on a trip a travel blog is a great way to keep your friends and family updated on your trip experiences. Vacations are such a great experience and a blog will help you remember the experience for years to come when you look back over your posts and reminisce about your holiday.
You can blog about a business that you have or you can start an online business with your blog. Blogging is a great way to promote your business online and gain new customers.
You can even just have a personal blog that is about nothing more than your life journey. You can talk about everyday events, your feelings, your love life, your kids, your sports, you can talk about absolutely anything.
These are just a few ideas of what you can blog about and the list is never ending of topics to choose from. So have a think about what you like to do and what you are passionate about and start a blog. You can add some Adsense ads or affiliate programs to your blog to monetize it and you will be surprised at the extra pocket money your blog can give you.
People blog about anything and many people make a lot of money from their blogs. In fact, there are a lot of people that have blog empires that earn them a very good full time income.
Choosing a Niche for Your Blogging Empire
By building multiple blogs around one niche can help to build up one main blog and help you to become an ‘expert’ in that niche. The first thing that you need to do is to choose a niche to build your empire around.
Go to Clickbank.com and browse through the products to find a product that sells well and will be profitable. You might want to take a look at the competition as you don’t want too much competition to compete with. However, because you are building a blogging empire you are going to work hard on this empire and as such will be able to beat a lot of the competition.
Once you decide on a niche then do some research to see if you can find a sub-niche. For example, weight loss would be a niche and calorie shifting diets would be a sub-niche. Building your blogging empire around a sub-niche will have less competition than choosing a full niche.
Creating Your Main Blog
You want to do some keyword research and find a good keyword phrase that has a lot of searches and not too much competition. Once you find a good keyword phrase then register a domain name and try to have the keywords included in the domain.
This will be your main blog so you want to start by creating your blog and adding good quality content to it. Once your blog is up and running you will then need to promote your blog to drive traffic to it. You can promote your blog by doing article marketing and other backlinking methods.
Creating Your Other Blogs
Now you want to go back and do some more keyword research and find four or five long tail keyword phrases that relate to your main keyword. Using our calorie shifting example you might choose something like ‘lose weight with calorie shifting’ or ‘use calorie shifting to burn fat’.
With these keyword phrases you will probably have fewer searches per month than for the main keyword phrase and that is ok.
Now register domains for each of these keyword phrases. If you are struggling for money to register domains then use .info domain names which are not very expensive.
You need to create a blog on each of these domains and add content to them. Whenever you post to one of these domains include a link in the post pointing back to your main blog or to one of the other blogs.
Try not to have the same linking pattern each time as you want it to be a bit varied, but the main idea is to build up the backlinks to your main blog.
Your Blogging Empire
Now you have a small blogging empire all based around this one niche. If you can work on your blogs and promote them all you can really build up your main blog to rank very well for its main keyword. Then you can continue to work on each individual blog to try and rank well for each of the long tail keyword phrases that your blogs are built around.
If you are considering starting a blog for the purpose of making money then the first question you will be asking yourself is what niche you should choose for your blog.
There are basically two options when choosing a niche and they are to decide whether you want a niche based purely on profitability or whether you want a niche based on something you are passionate about. In this article we will take a look at both options so you can then decide which road to take.
Option 1 – Choose a Niche That Is Profitable
If you want to take this option and choose a niche based on profitability, then you need to do your homework. Firstly, you need to find which niches are most profitable and one way to do this is to go to Clickbank and see which products are selling well.
Niches that tend to be popular and profitable are:
• Make money niche
• Weight loss niche
• Fitness niche
• Health related niches
• Relationship niches
These are just a few of the profitable niches and you will likely find many more. The one problem with profitable niches is that they are usually also the most competitive niches. So to do well in one of these niches you really need to do some good keyword research and find a keyword phrase that doesn’t have too much competition but one that still has a lot of searches per month.
Option 2 – Choose a Niche That You Are Passionate About
This option is much easier in choosing your niche because you already know what you are passionate about. However, if you want to make money from your blog then you need to do some research and see what monetization options are available for that niche.
With any niche you can always add some Google Adsense ads to your blog, so even if there are no products to promote as an affiliate you should still be able to make a little bit of money with Adsense.
To build a blog about something you are passionate about can include blogs about hobbies, sports, fitness, children, health or many more. The list is endless to what topic you can blog about and I’m sure there is something in your life that you are passionate about.
The advantage to blogging about a topic that you are passionate about is that it is much easier to write about something you love and you are likely to stay motivated longer and keep working on your blog long term.
You will also want to see how much demand there is for your niche and how many people search for it every month. If there aren’t many searches then you aren’t likely to make much money even with Adsense.
So unfortunately not all niches can be profitable niches but you will find that most are. If there are no digital products to promote in your chosen niche then look at physical products and sign up as an affiliate to companies like Amazon and Ebay.
Blogging is fun and creating a blog on a niche that you are passionate about will help you to enjoy blogging and have fun while you earn some extra money. But if you are more serious about a blogging business then choosing based on profitability is a good option. Then again, there is no reason why you can’t do both, you’re not limited to just one blog and the more blogs that you have the more income you can earn.
Setting up a blog is one thing but then you need to try and get visitors to find your blog. There are hundreds, even thousands, of blogs out there so how do you get your blog seen above all the others?
There are a few different options for driving traffic to a blog and here are my top five tips:
1. Ping your posts. Every time that you add a post to your blog you can ‘ping’ it and this lets the search engines know that you have just added a new post to your blog. The search engine spiders will then visit your site to check your new content and then index those pages. This will help your blog to show up in the search engines when someone searches for your keywords.
2. Social bookmarking. There are a lot of social bookmarking sites around now and these can be a great way to build backlinks to your site and also drive traffic to your site. Sites like Twitter, Facebook, Stumbleupon, Technorati and more are a bloggers best friend for helping to promote your blog.
3. Comment on other blogs. Search the internet and find other blogs in your niche and leave comments on those blogs with a link back to your site. You should pick up some traffic direct from those blogs as well as build up the number of backlinks to your blog.
4. Join a forum. Most niches will have forums for people to join and interact with other people in that niche, so find a forum or two and sign up. Then you can add a link to your blog in your signature and every time that you make a post on the forum you will build another link back to your blog.
5. Do some article marketing. Article marketing is a great way to promote your blog and build backlinks. This is a very effective method for driving traffic and is used successfully by many Internet Marketers to build up their business.
These are five very simple ways to drive traffic to your blog and these are all completely free methods. So get started today and you will soon see many more visitors to your blog.
There are a few free blog hosts around such as WordPress and Blogger and if you are just starting out with Internet Marketing and can’t afford to spend money then the free blog option is often the popular choice.
But there is one big problem with free blogging hosts and this problem is big enough that I would always recommend having a paid host for your blog.
With the free blogging hosts like WordPress and Blogger you need to agree to abide by their Terms of Service and if you violate them at all they can shut your blog down. There have been instances where people have had their blogs deleted without any warning and without knowing what they did to violate the Terms of Service.
Imagine starting a blog and adding new content to it on a regular basis. Perhaps you have had this blog for a couple of years and really worked hard on it and built it up to quite a big blog with lots of content. Not only that but you have also spent hours promoting your blog and building backlinks to it. This blog might even be a big income earner for you and maybe even be the blog that earns you all of your online income.
Then imagine signing onto the internet one day to find your blog gone!
I don’t know about you but I know that if this happened to me I would be devastated. Not only is all your hard work been flushed down the drain, so has your income source.
That is why I will only ever use paid hosting for all my blogs and I recommend that you do too. You can still use WordPress, after all it is very easy to set up and use, but as long as you use WordPress hosted on your own paid hosting service then you are safe.
There are a lot of different hosting companies around and it isn’t that expensive to have paid hosting. Companies like Hostgator cost just $9.95 a month and you can host unlimited domains for that price.
The other benefit with having a paid hosting service for your blog is that you choose your own domain name and you don’t have to have a free blogging service name as part of that name. You can have whatever name you like, as long as it is available to purchase.
This is another cost, but not an expensive one and it is just a yearly cost. Honestly, if you are going to put valuable time, thought and effort into a blog then do yourself a favour and pay for the domain and the hosting. Then install WordPress onto your domain and you are ready to go.
A domain and hosting is a small price to pay for the long term security of your blogging business.
Blogs were first established as a method for people to record their life experiences, thoughts and feelings, either for their own benefit or to share with their friends and family.
Blogging became a good way to keep in touch with friends or relatives around the world and a place to exchange ideas with thousands of people worldwide about hobbies, games or sports. With a blog a person can share their information and also visit other people’s blogs to gain access to new information.
Blogging very quickly became extremely popular and as it did so then people started to wonder if there was a way to monetize this blogging revolution.
Now a few years down the track and there are thousands of people worldwide that make a steady income just by blogging. Writing about something you love and sharing your passion can earn you money!
So how can you monetize your blog?
1. Affiliate Programs – there are many affiliate programs where you can promote someone else’s product and earn a commission on every one that you sell. There are affiliate programs for digital products as well as physical products, so whatever niche you are passionate about I am sure you can find an affiliate product to suit.
2. Google Adsense – this program is a great way to earn a little money every time that someone clicks on an Adsense ad that is displayed on your blog. Once you have signed up for an Adsense account it is as simple as putting the code onto your blog and then each time someone clicks on an ad you are paid a certain amount. Although the amounts are small for each click, if your blog has a lot of visitors these small amounts can add up quite nicely.
3. EBay – the world’s number one auction site and you can earn money as an affiliate. If you sign up to the EBay Partner Network program you can then advertise products sold on EBay on your blog. You then earn a commission for every product sold plus you can earn a bonus commission for each person that signs up for a new EBay account through your link.
4. Amazon – again you can sign up to Amazon and receive a commission on anything that is sold through the link on your blog. Even if the customer doesn’t buy the actual product that you are promoting, if they buy something else you will still earn a commission. Amazon is a very popular shopping website and you can make quite a lot of sales through their affiliate program.
5. Sell your own product – whether you have physical products that you can sell or whether you create your own digital product, you will keep 100% of the revenue when you sell your own products. Creating your own digital product means that there is no stock involved and sales can be very profitable.
These are five great ways that you can earn money from your blog so if you are blogging then why not take advantage of some of these programs to earn a little extra money. Who knows, you might even join the thousands of people earning a full time income from their blog.